Do You Know The Origin Of "Our" African Print? This Information About It Might Surprise You




African print/Ankara is something everyone has come to accept and embrace as that unique African fashion but did it really originate from West Africa as have come to believe or we are just unknowingly claiming? 

My fashion blogger friend, Afra (_afradaily), on one of her researches decided to research into the origin of "our" African print and what she discovered was not what we all thought. I found what she shared very informative so I also thought it was worth sharing.

She wrote; 

"ARE WE JUST CLAIMING?
My recent research was focused on the origin of "our" indigenous African print and I was dumbfounded when I found out that ,it's not even from West Africa as we thought😳 The story actually began on Indonesian lands where locals used the technique of wax-resist dyeing to make clothing with very bold ,repeating motifs as we see in our Ankara/African print 

How did it even get to Africa? So these Indonesians employed a group of African men and women who loved this local cloth and brought back to their country as a craft to yield some profit and TAADAA!🙌🏾We,West Africans embraced this vibrant fabric as a key identifying part of our culture .
Surprised right? So was I but I guess we know better now".

So there you have it, a little history about the origin of our African print. I hope you found it as informative as I did. We will still call it "ours" because we present it beautifully anyways. Lol.

Your thoughts? 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This Twitter User's Story Of How A Que Hit It And Knocked Her Uterus Behind Her Rib Cage Is Funny As Hell; But I didn't Even Know That Could Happen

Think Thick Women Can't Slay? Take A Look At How These Beautiful Plus Size Ladies Are Killing It

Short Stories: Love At First S**x (Part 2)